Sunday, October 10, 2010

Akagera National Park



At 6 this morning I set off in a 4x4 with a hired driver, two American colleagues (Burch and Megan) and my Rwandan friend (Theo) to Akagera National Park. Akagera is a 2500 square km game reserve located in the northeastern part of Rwanda, bordering Tanzania. The park was established in 1934 during the time of Belgian rule and, despite many changes in regime, it has been maintained as a protected area.

This marked my first visit to a region of Africa in which wild animals cohabitate naturally. The day-long game drive was exciting and impressive! I had no idea that so many wild animals live in little Rwanda. The only downside of the day was all the Tsetse flies that entered our vehicle. Included among the animals I saw were: baboons, zebras, impalas, hippos, monkeys, giraffes, elephants, warthogs, crocodiles, waterbucks and exotic birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment